Tuesday, December 11, 2012

One Week Into The Gluten Free Life

So a week ago today I made the decision to go gluten free in an attempt to see if it's a contributing factor in my bladder issues (most likely IC, but having diagnostic tests done tomorrow to try to narrow down the possibilities). 

My hubby seems to strongly believe that this is NOT the problem & going gluten free is a waste of time (& money when it comes to buying new things that I need to survive this way of life).  I'm not sure WHY he feels that way, but he's mentioned it a few times now.

I have to admit that I don't strongly feel like this is definitely an answer to my problems.  But I'm so desperate for any improvement that I am willing to give this a try.  It's not gonna hurt me, so why not is the way I see it. 

My biggest issue is that I LOOOOOVE to bake.  Bread, cake, pie, cookie, you name it I bake it.  And I LOVE to bake it.  And of course I don't JUST bake, I also eat it too.  I am determined to try my best to bake decent gluten free items.  I know there are donuts that I sometimes buy at the health food that are gluten free & they are sooo good & I would never even know that they are gluten free if not for the huge label on the box.  So I think it's doable, I just have to learn how.  So that's a new project for me.  Especially since I HAVE to make a birthday cake for Jesus soon!!  Oh the pressure!!!  I'm sure I'll come up with something.  Worst case scenario I'll make a normal cake & just not eat any myself.

I am planning to do this for 3 months & see where I'm at then.  And then to possibly at that time reintroduce gluten into my diet & see how I do.  In 1 week I can report that I feel less bloated, especially in the abdominal area.  For the first time in I can't even remember how long I don't have that horrible feeling of pressure pushing on my very sensitive bladder, which is a very good thing.  And I do notice one other thing--for the first time in I can't remember how long I can urinate freely without any hesitancy.  That is a glorious thing. 

If I see any other changes in the next 3 months I will most likely post blog updates.  It's mostly just my way of keeping a record of things, so I can refer back to it later on.  I'm certainly not looking for pity or sympathy.  In fact that's why I've tried to keep quiet about this issue for so many years.  But in the past couple of years it has escalated to a point where I feel I can't really hide it anymore.  It's interfering with my life to a level that can't be hid now.  And then there are times where I could try to hide it & make excuses, but I worry I might offend someone by doing so.  Actually strike that, it has already occurred.  I have offended people already by trying to hide my health issue & they misinterpret the situation & are offended.  Now I could certainly just not care about offending people, not care what they think, but these are people I care about & don't want them to think that I don't care about them.  So I am now trying to offer honest explanations (in as brief a way as possible, I don't want pity or sympathy either as I think I said already).  I still feel a good deal of guilt for affecting those around me due to this.  And I still feel embarrassment & some shame, although I can't really pinpoint why when I analyze the situation.  I just wish I could wake up & realize this was all a bad dream & over with once & for all. 

No comments: