Monday, January 13, 2014

New Year's Resolutions, etc.......

I've been MIA for a little bit......allow me to explain.........

I haven't blogged since last year.  I've never been big on New Year's resolutions, but the past few years I've been making some.  I've always been annoyed by New Year's Resolutions because people always get so serious about them & pledge to do all sorts of stuff & usually before the end of January they've completely given up.  I've never wanted to be one of those people, however, being a perfectionist, I usually do pretty good at them, even when I say "I may not do it, but I'm gonna give it a try" or something along those lines.

Resolution #1: I am planning to read my Bible in a year.

My church does this each year together as a congregation.  I did it 2 years ago I think.  I don't know that I could commit to this every single year.  I'd like to do other types of daily Bible studies sometimes, so I'm thinking doing this one every other year might just be the ticket, allowing me to do other Bible studies on the alternating years.  Or, perhaps, as my child matures I'll be able to have more time in the Word & will be able to do both.  Anyways, I am only 13 days into this, but I am doing very well.  Most days I'm up at 4 am & I workout, shower, spend time with God, & then sometimes have a little free time until my son is up--which is usually around 6:30-7am-ish.  There have been a couple of days where I didn't get it read before my son got up & I just told him I needed to read my Bible & he allowed me to do so.   I was very proud of him!!

My church always offers a "book of the month" & every December they offer the "One Year Bible" as the book of the month.  I prefer to do the reading out of my own study Bible, so I headed to a Christian bookstore & got myself a schedule for reading the Bible in a year (it was a pamphlet & it came with 3 or 4 different schedules for reading it in a year--I'm following the one that my church does--a little Old Testament, a little New Testament, a little Psalms, & a little Proverbs each day).  [On a sidenote, one of the years at my church they decided to do the Chronological reading of the Bible in a year; my pastor said it was SOOO hard  & he would probably never do that again, LOL]

When I did this two years ago I did it in the YouVersion app on my phone.  But I REALLY don't like e-books.  Especially the Bible, I really want to read this out of my own study Bible.

However, my hubby decided he wanted to read his Bible in a year also (neither of discussed this with each other, we both just decided to do it on our own & then were excited to find that the other was going to do it also)  I showed him my schedule but he wasn't really liking that.  He tried to do it from the YouVersion app, but was disappointed that they don't offer it in NKJV.  So he ended up buying the 1 year Bible from our church--it's interesting, I never thought about it, but it's set up where you don't have to flip all over the place each day.  I told him everyone is different & if he likes it that's all that matters--but I still prefer my study Bible, LOL.  

I have to say while I enjoy reading my Bible each day, even more I enjoy being able to discuss it with my hubby, because he's reading it also!!

Resolution #2: to get back in shape.

Sometime late in 2012 I stopped working out regularly.  This coming after like 21 years of consistently working out--pretty shocking, I know.  I was really struggling health wise, from a lot of different angles.  I felt like my body needed a break to be able to heal.  There were several times that I tried to get back on the fitness horse, but each time it seemed like my health would start back pedaling.  I'm determined to succeed this time & so far I'm doing ok--aside from some anemia (it would seem that the damage gluten has done to my intestines is pretty severe & may never heal at this point).  I am doing Suzanne Bowen's Barre Amped & Leah Sarago's Ballet Body so far, though if I find myself bored that will change.  I really do love these workouts though.  They are both slightly different & I feel like I couldn't choose one over the other.  (I also have some that both Leah & Suzanne did together)

I do also want to lose some weight--5-10 lbs or so.  But I'm not gonna make that part of my resolution.  I'm just gonna focus on tightening & toning & building muscle for now.  I am hoping some weight loss will come along with it, but it's not gonna be my focus. 

Resolution #3: To spend less time on the internet.

I honestly don't do much on the internet--I basically just check email & instagram & blog on occasion.  I do enjoy Instagram a lot & I never have an issue keeping up on there.  Pretty much the only contact I have with Facebook these days is what I get in my email--which is mostly just posts on groups that I'm in.  Oh yeah, I do try to keep up with a couple of blogs on my blog reader app, although I do fall behind frequently & sometimes can never get caught up & just mark everything as read & start all over again LOL.  

Anyways, we did start back homeschooling on December 30th.  My hubby works A LOT & didn't get New Year Eve's or New Year's Day off, so it didn't feel much like a holiday & I didn't take a school break for it.  For now I'm enjoying not feeling pressured to document everything we do in school for the blog.  I'm sure at some point I'll resume blogging, though probably not every single week--maybe I'll do a monthly blog on it??  I don't know, I'll see how it goes.  

Occasionally, usually late at night if I can't sleep or on the weekends when my son is playing with daddy & I actually have free time, I do pop in briefly on the internet--usually Facebook.  

I do hope to continue the RV blogs, however, & we are hoping to take another trip soon.  I am dreaming of a week long trip to Wisconsin (well, we calculated it out & it would be 3 [long] days of driving there, one day there, & 3 more [long] days driving home.  And I'm dreaming of a week long trip to Sequoia.  We went there a lot when I was a kid & of all the places we went it was by far my favorite.  I've always dreamed of being able to return there someday.  And I've always wanted my hubby to be able to go there & now I REALLY want my son to be able to see it also.  But I don't actually know when those trips may be possible, especially the Wisconsin trip, as I really want more than 1 day to spend there.

I guess that's all for now...............

No comments: