Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Homeschooling Progress & Summer School Planning

Edited to add: I forgot to include, for summer school, kitchen lessons (http://www.kids-cooking-activities.com/kids-cooking-lessons-assistant-chef-intro.html) & a butterfly house!

It's been a while since I've posted anything homeschool related.  We are still plugging along with preschool.  Since last posting, we have covered Isaiah & Jeremiah, Jonah, & finished off the Old Testament with Daniel.  We then moved into the New Testament covering the birth of Jesus, Jesus growing up, & are currently learning about Jesus' miracles.

I recently purchased the unit study on Godly character through literature that I plan to use over the summer.  I am also planning to return to Leading Little Ones to God for the summer.  And I want to cover The ABCs of Handling Money God's Way over the summer.  (on a side note: I am planning to reuse these items each summer for at least a few years; I do think repetition is an important aspect in learning important things. Additionally the character study comes with 2 sets of books-one for K-3 & one for 4-6, even further extending the use of the study)

So today I sat down with a calendar & I see that we'll be finishing up preschool the week of April 14th.  That weekend Lil J will have his 5th birthday.  So my plan is to take a week off after his birthday & then start up 'summer school' (though it's technically 'spring & summer school') the week of April 28th & it will last 12 weeks.  Then we'll have 2 weeks to kill & Kindergarten will begin on August 4th.  It's possible that I may decide to take a week off somewhere during summer school & then we would only have 1 week off before starting Kindergarten, which I would prefer.  

I also looked at how much material was in each of these books I want to cover & split them up over the 12 weeks.  I am still planning to do school Monday thru Thursday, as we are currently doing.  So I will do Leading Little Ones to God each day, Monday thru Thursday.  I will need to cover 2 lessons in this book some of the days to get thru the whole book in 12 weeks--but the lessons are short, that's totally doable.  2 days each week we will spend on Godly Character thru Literature, covering 2 lessons per week.  1 day each week we will cover the money management book, doing one chapter each week.  These chapters are super short, so that's very easily doable.  And then I have one more day left.  I'm not entirely sure (& probably won't be until we actually get going & see how it goes) but it will probably be some sort of Spanish & possibly Lil J reading as well.

So that's it for now.....in the coming weeks of preschool we will be covering more of Jesus' miracles, Jesus' parables, Jesus' teachings, Jesus' ministry, preparing for Jesus' death, Jesus' crucifixion & resurrection, Jesus' resurrection & ascension, the spread of the Gospel, & we finish off with the Apostle Paul.

No comments: