Friday, February 5, 2010

"Your Baby Can Read" update #3

Ok, so we're still doing this program--he should be finishing it up around the time he has his first birthday.

Recently he was starting to get really bored with the DVD & not wanting to pay much attention. So even though it's a couple weeks ahead of schedule I moved him to the next DVD in the series & now he's paying attention again. The schedule they give is just an example, they encourage you to follow your child's clues & move on when the child has learned that DVD well. And with THIS DVD in the series it states you can show it once a day (instead of twice a day as with the previous DVDs) but it emphasizes showing all the prior DVDs frequently. So his first viewing now is the current one & then the second viewing is one of the previous ones, I rotate them around.

People keep asking me if I believe this really works. Honestly I don't know yet, we aren't finished yet. But I have to ask "how could it not?" I mean it may not work as fast as they promise, but at some point it has to work, right? And it's not like it's gonna backfire & make him dumber.

I think the main thing that kinda bugs me is that people are often only interested because they think it's an easy way to teach their kids to read. As if they are looking for a hands-off approach where they don't have to do anything. They can plug a DVD in & sit back & do nothing. Of course people are so stinking lazy that they are always looking for the easy way out & yeah, that kinda irritates me. Especially when it comes to your child. Is your child's intelligence & future worth so little that you can't stop being lazy & just get involved? But I digress. My opinion is this: in the grand scheme of things this program is really like just the first few steps on a staircase. AFTER they finish with the 7 month program (which is not the easy way out, it takes a lot of parent involvement with the DVDs, flashcards, as well as books) it REALLY is then up to the parent as to whether or not their child is going to be an early reader. (If you just do this 7 month program & stop there I doubt they will be as successful as if you follow through) The parenting guide that comes with this recommends exposing your child to HUNDREDS of books at this point--he strongly recommends checking books out at a library to be able to do this. So yeah, this program can give them a head start & the basics, but to take that further is still up to the parent.

Alright, that's my latest update, will post another later on.......

1 comment:

Calfkeeper said...

Hey, I am sorry it has taken me so long to realize that you have your own blog on here. Sometimes I am just really thick, I suppose. I realized I could follow your link and find it.

I agree with you about people being too lazy to actually TEACH their child something; they expect the TV or the school to do it all. I have lost track of how many books I have read to Ellen. And I have been taking her to the library once a week now too...weather permitting of course. She loves it. She is already noticing words on her toys and calling off the letters. She doesn't get how to put them together to pronounce the word yet, but she's making progress.

Keep up the good work with this program...he sounds like he's advancing pretty well.