Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Finally making progress with Lil J's fungal issues

As you may or may not recall, Lil J has a systemic/gut fungal issue that I've been fighting with since he was only a baby.  I've explained how it came about in past blogs, so I won't bother with that here once again. 

BUT I have exciting news.  I am finally making progress in getting rid of this.  I had changed his diet drastically back in February but all these months I still wasn't seeing much change. 

I kept trying to find a way to get antifungals in him, natural ones.  But they all have a very bad taste to them, so it was absolutely impossible. 

I have always given him kids' probiotics.  Since healthy digestive bacteria (what's in probiotics) is what naturally prevents fungus from overgrowing he definitely needed that.  But it seemed that it wasn't enough, that's why I was really trying to find a way to get antifungals down him.  Things like olive leaf, capryllic acid, grapefruit seed extract.  There are others, but those are the ones I had on hand & were trying.  But I am quite sure the others didn't taste good either.

I had discussed with hubby taking him to the doctor, our new doctor, & asking for a prescription for oral nystatin.  Nystatin & Diflucan are the two main prescription antifungals.  Nystatin has been around for a long time, it also comes in a powder for topical application.  It has almost no risk to using it.  Diflucan is a newer drug & is often the first choice it seems, although it has more side effects & risks to it.  After consideration, hubby agreed that should take him to the doctor & ask for nystatin.  But then it occurred to me that nystatin (it's a liquid) might taste bad too & we'd still be in the same situation.  We were still praying for wisdom about the whole situation.

And then one day as I was putting his kids' probiotic powder in his almond milk I grabbed one of my probiotic capsules & opened it & dumped it in his almond milk as well.  The next day his toes looked so much better.  I could't believe it!  And so since that day I've been putting 2 capsules of my probiotic into his almond milk 3 times per day.  And he is continuing to get better. 

I know that fungal issues take a very long to clear up completely, so I am not planning to stop giving him the probiotics for a very long time.  And I really need to focus on making sure he gets as balanced of a diet as possible, not all sugar & carbs, which will feed the fungus.  And he may, even after this is all cleared up, always have a weakness/tendency for fungal overgrowth.  We will have to see.

But I am soooooo thrilled to be able to say that I finally, for the first time ever, am seeing improvement.

No comments: