Tuesday, September 23, 2008

10 week tomorrow (& a garden update)

So tomorrow I will be 10 weeks. Whew! A quarter of the way there! I am truly trying to enjoy every part of this, but sometimes it's really hard with the nausea & tiredness.......... And I know once I'm out of my first trimester I'll heave a sigh of relief cuz MOST miscarriages occur in the first trimester & I have to admit I am a little paranoid about the possbility of losing the baby just cuz of all my past gyn issues.

One of my coworkers got married back in 2003 & has been trying to get pregnant ever since. A couple of months ago she was excited to say that she was finally pregnant. But not too long after she discovered it was an ectopic pregnancy. And recently one of my coworkers was excited to find that her daughter was pregnant, she was gonna be a grandma--only to find that it was also an ectopic pregnancy. That's why I was so anxious to get an ultrasound done. I wanted to see the baby in my uterus with my very own eyes before I could really relax & be excited about this. I'm really surprised that docs don't just routinely do an ultrasound early on like that............

One patient I once had that I will NEVER forget was an 18 year old girl. She had come into the ER during the night with an ectopic pregnancy. They had done emergency surgery during the night. I came on duty the next morning & I went in the room to see her & assess her & I will never forget her face as she looked up at me & asked me 'so what happened to my baby......is my baby ok?' I was literally fighting back tears myself as I sat down & held her hand & explained what an ectopic pregnancy is. No one had bothered to take the time to explain any of it to her (one of my pet peeves as a nurse that I see happen way too often I must say).

As for me, not a lot to report really, not much has changed--no doc visits since last week. I'm still doing a lot of reading, as much as I can. I was getting a little overwhelmed I have to admit. I have a coworker who is pregnant & she keeps bringing me tons of stuff to read. When I first found out I was pregnant I told her I wanted the book "what to expect when you're expecting" & she frowned & said 'it's too much reading, don't waste your time getting it' Knowing that I'm a book-worm I got it anyways & I really do enjoy it. Yet, despite her frowning on 'all that reading' she continues to bring me TONS of material to read..........so I will still politely accept it, but I'm not gonna kill myself trying to read it all. She did bring one magazine that is really cool--it has actual photographs of the baby in utero at various ages. I can't even imagine how these photos were taken. So that's really cool & my 'what to expect book' is good & I'm enjoying the book my mom loaned me & then I enjoy my fitness books, but that's where I'm drawing the line, LOL.

I've also been watching a lot of movies lately. For the most part I'm not a big movie or TV person, never really have been. But lately I guess cuz I'm so tired all the time it's been nice to curl up on the couch & watch movies.

I'm still working out--still doing my pilates 2-3 days/week. This morning I also did 20 minutes on my spin bike before pilates & another 20 minutes on the bike after pilates. I actually feel pretty good, but it's still early, I'll see how I do throughout the day energy-wise. I also still take an hour walk a couple of times each week (but this week is supposed to get hot again, so I might not be able to), but on those days I usually have to take a nap shortly after the walk.

I read that at 10 weeks the baby is the size of a kumquat. I have to admit I have no clue what a kumquat is, much less if it's in season right now or where to buy one............so I'm not sure I'll have anything to place on hubby's pillow this week...........

As for the garden, it's been terribly neglected ever since I found out I'm pregnant. But hubby helped me clean it up on Sunday, so it's looking pretty good again. And while we were cleaning up we found two HUGE cucumbers & there's tons more little ones on their way. The cantaloupe plant also appears to have several baby melons on it.

I guess that's all I have to report for now. Soup & pastry are my current favorite cravings these days.............

No comments: