Sunday, February 1, 2009

My rant of the day: yet another food industry scandal....

I would imagine by now that anyone reading this had heard the latest news: High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) has been found to contain mercury in it. I am hearing this news everywhere myself, so I wouldn't think it would come as a surprise to anyone by now.

And of course the FDA has known about this for a while now, but has been keeping quiet about it. How typical. And then there's the recent corny commercials (no pun intended) paid for by the Corn Refiner's Association telling you that HFCS really isn't bad for you.

Now I do have to say that when I hear this I am not too worried. Both trans-fat (hydrogenated & partially hydrogenated fats) & HFCS are not in our home. Those are things we make it a point to never buy. Unfortunately when you eat out though you can't monitor your ingredients as closely & I am sure we do consume them then. But at least that isn't often.

But most people I know say that those two ingredients are impossible to avoid & they actually give up trying to avoid them. Where you choose to do your shopping has a lot to do with it, though. Whole Foods Market made a commitment a long time to not sell ANYTHING with trans-fat. That was still a problem at Trader Joe's for a while, but they have really cleaned up in that area a lot. I'm honestly not sure if they sell anything with HFCS in it, I don't recall ever seeing it, but I'm can't say for sure that they don't sell it at all, only that I haven't bought it there & I can at least say that I don't recall ever seeing it.

Anywho, I could go on & on with my irritation, but I will refrain. Off I go to church now & I will be back later to post my latest pregnancy blog.........

No comments: