Thursday, October 16, 2008

walk the line

I'm referring to the movie, "Walk The Line".

It's a movie about the singer Johnny Cash. We bought the DVD at least a couple of years ago, I think when it first came out on DVD. Hubby & stepson kept seeing it advertised & they really wanted to see it. I have to admit that I don't know much about Johnny Cash. I have the impression that my father was a fan, but I could be mistaken about that.

So yeah, we watched it back when we first got it. I liked it a lot. I am a fan of Reese Witherspoon (LOVE 'Sweet Home Alabama'), so I had fun watching her & the romance of the storyline. I have to admit I REALLY liked the duets they sang together, although I had NEVER heard of June Carter & hubby hadn't either.

So a month ago or so I bought the latest Third Day CD, Revelation. Third Day is one of my most fave bands. Hubby really likes them too, he always says he doesn't think there's ANY song they could do that he wouldn't like & I have to agree. They're a rock band, but with a slight country edge. They're from Atlanta, Georgia, so I assume that's why the country influence exists. Anyhow, I love that band & this new CD was totally amazing as I had expected.

So how are the two related you're probably asking yourself??? I'm getting to that................ Well on this new Third Day CD they have a woman on there singing some duets. I have no idea who she is (haven't read the liner notes yet), but she has a southern accent. Again I am surprised how much I like duets!! So anyways, everytime I get in the car & hear this CD it makes me want to watch "Walk The Line". So I've been watching that movie over & over & over, at least a couple times each week for the past month.

Hubby's been a little perplexed by it though. I'm sure I understand why. Not to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but Johnny Cash did have a drug problem. And hubby knows how much I dislike that kind of thing, so he's a little surprised that I like the movie as much as I do. BUT I have to say, at least as far as I can tell in the movie, he kicked his drug habit completely. So yeah, that does make it better for me, but it's also mostly the music that I really love in the movie.

So I was watching it yesterday & I can tell it's not the original recordings for the songs, so it got me wondering WHO was actually singing the songs. So at the end I let the credits run & took a look & was shocked to see it's the actors--Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon that recorded the songs!! I was really impressed by that. I mean I never knew they had singing talent, not to mention the ability to duplicate someone else's! So then I noticed in the credits that there's a soundtrack available! So of course on my way home from the doc today I stopped at Best Buy & got it! My only disappointment is that they didn't include 'Time's a Wastin'" on it. But aside from that it's really good.

So for those of you who haven't seen this movie, I recommend it highly! It's based on two autobiographies on Johnny Cash, which I am actually interested in reading--I've been in a reading mood lately.........

No comments: