Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Preschool Devotions


Sometime ago, in June 2010 I think, my stepdaughter had jaw surgery.  It was a long surgery & it was challenging to keep my 1 year old son occupied while we waited.  We took several walks through the gift shop.  My son loves teddy bears, so I bought him one from there that we kept in the car for a very long time.  Since the teddy bear at home needs to be clean so he can sleep with it, etc, I thought it was good to have a travel bear that can go anywhere/everywhere with him in the car.  And my son loved this, until he lost it in a store more recently, now that he mostly walks in stores rather than sitting in carts.  

On one of our walks through the gift shop I saw this book "365 Bedtime Devotions for Little Boys" & I grabbed it.  (There clearly must be a version for little girls because there are some typos in the book where it says girl, she, her, where it should be saying boy, he, him, LOL)   I was reading it to my son at bedtime for quite some time.  I knew it was meant for an older child, but I read it anyways.  

At some point, in some bookstore, I don't really remember where/when, I got "The One Year Devotions for Preschoolers".  At the time my son was too young for it & he was pretty destructive with books, so I tucked it away in his closet.  Well of course I forgot all about it, and then when we started school in August I was going through books, etc & ran across the preschool devotional.  I read it a few times with my son & he was quickly totally in love with the book.  He was asking for it all the time.  I started noticing how much better he was comprehending it than the one we were reading at bedtime, so I decided to read this one, instead, at bedtime & tuck the other one away until he's a little older.  

He loves looking at the pictures & he knows all the characters & their names.  It's amazing to me how much he loves this book.  And right now we're struggling with reading lessons in school & he tells me he wants to read this book as his reading lesson.  So for now I'm gonna use it for his reading lesson & see how it goes.  But I just wanted to recommend both of these books highly.  But the one on the left I recommend extremely highly if you have a preschooler.  You can see in the photo that I had to duct tape the binding & that's not from abuse, simply from being read so much.  


No comments: