Friday, November 1, 2013

Homeschool Preschool Unit 12--Samuel Listens to God

 
{I am partaking in NaBloPoMo this year--in which I will post a blog post every day for the month of November}

I am using Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, various forms of Spanish, & reading aloud from a chapter book for my 4 year old son.

This week focuses on the letter J & Samuel, the last judge.

On Monday we had a very busy morning.  Monday has always been my house cleaning & laundry day.  So it's always been busy, but as of today Lil J is doing his swimming lessons on Monday morning.  So it was even busier than usual, but it went well I must say.  We started off with a new fingerplay.  Then he read the words portion of reading lesson #85.  He only missed 2 words, so he should have those soon & move on quickly to the next lesson.  Then we read in the Bible about Hannah, then we did some discussing of what we read, he practiced writing "J" & "j".  He did 'count on me', where he drew babies in each box & added up each box & then all of them together.  Then he read the sentences portion of his reading lesson.  Then we did Spanish & then our songs--there was no song for today's lesson, but we did the books of the Bible, God made the universe, & the 10 commandments.  Then I read aloud from The Little House in the Big Woods.  (This is the first book in the series & it is my favorite.  I have always dreamed of being able to live as they do in this book--soooo independent & self sufficient.)  And that's a wrap for Monday. 


On Tuesday we continued with our fingerplay, he read the words portion of reading lesson #85 & got all the words correct so tomorrow he'll be moving on to lesson #86.  We read in the Bible about Hannah's prayer for a baby being answered.  We did our devotionals & made a play-dough "J" (Lil J rolled out all the play dough by himself & stuck them in the glue that I placed on the paper for him).  {I really need to make some gluten free play dough!  I am using store bought modeling clay & I would imagine that it has gluten in it & I do worry about us getting sick from handling it.  Hopefully today or soon I can make some that's gluten free.}  Then we discussed what we read in the Bible & then he read the sentences/paragraphs portion of his reading lesson.  This is the first day he really truly focused & didn't fight about this at all.  I've been working on that for some time now & am so glad to see that my hard work is paying off.  Then we did Spanish & then our songs--a song about Samuel, the books of the Bible, God made the universe, & the 10 commandments.  And then we did a Hannah/Samuel craft.  Later I will read aloud from "Little House in the Big Woods". 


 
On Wednesday we continued with our fingerplay, he read the words portion of reading lesson #86.  Then we read about God speaking to Samuel in the Bible.  There was a "math activity" that just didn't have anything to do with math & it required a lot of moving around, which can be a problem with my kid--he will lose all focus when that happens--so I just skipped it & discussed the point it was supposed to be making--that Samuel had to listen CAREFULLY to what God was telling him.  We did 'hide & seek J' & then a Bible activity--the 2 black lines coming down are God's voice, the small green rectangle is Samuel's pillow, the larger blue rectangle is Samuel's blanket.  And the "YES" is Samuel's response to God.  (the bottom right of the photo collage was my example for Lil J to follow & the bottom left is Lil J's work--I thought he did a really good job--he said he wanted his blanket to look 'real' so he was deliberately not drawing a rectangle but a more realistic looking blanket, LOL)  Then we did an extra craft--a heart in a magnifying glass--representing God examining our hearts.  Then he read the sentences/paragraphs portion of his reading lesson, then we did Spanish.  Then our songs--a song about Samuel, the books of the Bible, God made the universe, & the 10 commandments.  Then I read aloud from the The Little House in the Big Woods & that was it for Wednesday.


 
On Thursday we continued with our fingerplay.  He read the words portion of reading lesson #86 (& will be moving on to lesson #87 on Friday).  We read in the Bible about God's people losing the battle with the Philistines. He practiced writing "J" & "j" (& he did "I" & "i" also).  I skipped an activity & chose to just discuss the point of it & did a scheduled discussion & prayer also.  Because this is reformation day we discussed what that means & Lil J colored a picture of Marin Luther--I couldn't find any crafts, just the coloring sheet.  I also read a book aloud, "Mommy, Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween?"  Then he read the sentences/paragraphs portion of his reading lesson.  Then we did Spanish.  There was no song to go with today's lesson, so we just did our usual books of the Bible, God made the universe, & 10 commandments.  Then I read aloud from the little house in the big woods.  And that's all for Thursday. 


 
On Friday we continued with our fingerplay, he read the words portion of reading lesson #87.  There was a little struggle with this, but I think it was simply because it was a new lesson & the new words were a challenge for him.  We read about Saul becoming king in the Bible.  We drew Saul's face & anointed it with oil, just as Samuel had done.  It was masking tape J day, which Lil J loves.  We acted out what we read in the Bible.  Then he read the sentences/paragraphs portion of his reading lesson.  Then we did Spanish, our songs (a song about Saul, the books of the Bible, God made the universe, & 10 commandments).  Then I read aloud from The Little House in the Big Woods. 




That's all for this week.....next week we move on to David.............

 






No comments: