Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Library Trip


 
Yesterday, November 5, 2013, was my son's very first trip to the library.  I am a total book worm, have been since I was very very young.  And I have a serious passion to instill a love of books & reading into my son.  Not only do I think reading is a beautiful & wonderful experience, but as a Christian I believe it is absolutely essential that we read our Bibles.  And I don't think it's any accident or mistake that there's an anti-book/anti-reading agenda taking place these days.  It's just one more way to weaken God's people. 


 
I realize that many people take their children to the library for the first time when they are much younger than 4 1/2.  But I had a few reasons for wanting to wait.  For one thing, my son is very loud.  It's just him, just his normal voice, etc, is loud.  Yes, I do try to teach him to not be so loud, but some things are just an innate part of us, what we're born with, & you can't just turn them on & off with the flip of a switch.  I also can remember my own very first trip to the library & how excited I was & even what book I checked out!!  So I also sort of wanted it to be a special thing that he might remember as he grows older.  And I also wanted him to understand what a library is & what was going on. 
 
And I am thrilled to report that all of that worked out perfectly.  He understood the need to be quiet & whispered the whole time we were there.  There were other kids being loud & he even told me that that wasn't nice of them.  I was so incredibly proud of him.  He was thrilled even beyond my expectations of going there & seeing all the books.  The one issue we did have is that he wanted to BUY the books, not just borrow them.  And I'm not sure how it's gonna go when we have to return them......I'm hoping I can distract him with the fact that we can check out even more books!  They did have a small bookstore there & they did have a small selection of children's books.  I bought him two books for $1, what a bargain!!  And we checked out 5 books. 
 
All in all it was a fabulous trip.  I live in an area that borders on 3 separate counties, so in time I would like to explore other libraries (nothing is close to me, I have to drive a ways to any of them), but being separate counties I will need a card for each county I guess. 


The 2 books I bought

The 5 books we checked out

No comments: